Life Since Finishing One Round of 12wbt

It's been a while since I've posted. Two months to be exact. I'm really sorry about that - to any regular readers out there (if I have any!!).

Anyway, onto the "journey". So the last time I posted on this blog was about week 10 of the 12wbt. Since then I've been through a few phases, with different successes and "points for improvement".

Phase 1 - the completion of 12wbt.
Phase 2 - post the 12wbt program, pre Christmas holidays
Phase 3 - Christmas holidays
Phase 4 - Back from holidays, before the next round starts.


Phase 1 - The Completion of 12wbt
For the final two weeks of the 12wbt, I was in Cairns for work. It was quite a tough couple of weeks. I was staying in a hotel without cooking facilities and I was working some crazy hours. Generally around 12-15 a day. I was pretty exhausted. I have to acknowledge the fact that I made some really great choices with the options I had. For breakfasts in the hotel I ate one slice of multigrain toast with two eggs. Every morning. Which I know is under 300 calories, and packed with protein. For lunches most days I ate the woolworths packaged salads with a tin of tuna. Purchased strawberries and bananas and sakata crackers for snacks. Dinners were the toughest to do well in. It was restaurant meals every night. Plus a couple of nights out with the client. I did the best I could with the options I was given - choosing seafood based meals, stir frys, grilled meat and salads.

I taught myself in those couple of weeks that I could choose well and still stick with healthy options, and even lose weight. In those two weeks I lost 1.7kgs in total. That shows me that I did the right thing.

My stats at the end of the program:
Starting weight: 91.8kgs
Final weigh in: 81.6kgs
BMI at the time: 30 (Overweight class)
Total loss in the program: 10.2kgs
Percentage weight loss: 11.11%

Phase 2 - 4 - Out on my own, without the program
I don't feel like going into a great amount of detail over my time since I haven't been on the program. But I guess I haven't been doing the best. It's been about 5 weeks since the program stopped. My last couple of weeks before going on Christmas holidays weren't impressive. I was busy at work, busy with Christmas shopping and planning my holiday, and let the stress of it all get to me. I didn't eat fantastically. I barely exercised. I think my issue was that I did not make the time to go grocery shopping. I let myself get too overwhelmed with being busy and I dropped the healthy habits I had formed. I guess they weren't habits then. Just confirms the fact that I need to continue with the 12wbt rounds, as I still have alot to learn.

Once I went on holidays things weren't as bad. I began to relax, stop worrying about my never ending to-do list (I have a very bad habit of letting that get the better of me), and I went back to my "good choices". For the first week anyway. For lunches I ate meat and salad sandwiches, or if eating out I chose salads on the menu. Most dinners we went and grabbed some meat and salad stuff from Woolies, and used those free BBQs in the park to cook our dinner. It was our idea to keep food costs down and also eat pretty healthy. I enjoyed it. Was a nice way to spend evenings together. Outside cooking. Very relaxing. I was glad to be doing that over eating out every night. We didn't have cooking facilities in the horrible motels we were staying at so that was our best option.

I managed to get some exercise in whilst on holidays too. I generally went for a run every few days. Following the C25k app on the iphone. I got to the day where I was required to run for 20 minutes straight. The most I'd ran in one hit before that was 8 minutes. Once! And before that, 5 minutes. BUT I DID IT!!!!!!! It felt fantastic. Unfortunately I have not been running since, I really need to get on that. But 20 minutes, on a tready at 8km/hr. It's a milestone. I want to complete the C25k program before the next round of 12wbt starts. In the hope of moving from the beginners level to the intermediate. I should not be in the beginners program.

The second week of my holidays didn't go too well food wise. I just got a little tired of thinking about food all of the time. Am I making the best choice? Have I eaten too many calories today? I just wanted to free my mind of it whilst on holidays. So I let things slide. A chocolate here, an ice cream there. Some lollies. A McChicken burger. I'm not proud of it, but I still managed to lose 1kg on holidays. Maybe I had done extremely well in my first week, that the second week resulted in a slight gain that didn't overtake my loss from the first week. Another thought is that maybe my other choices are good enough that my once a day treat wasn't too bad. Or, we were just active enough on our holiday - walking everywhere - that my calories out balanced out my bad treats or calories in.

Now (in the "final" phase), I'm back at work. Back to reality! I've had one week back, and I mostly followed a week of the 12wbt. A print out I had kept from the last round. Then I got sick. I've got a nice big head cold. I'm guessing due to the change in weather from Sydney to Brisbane. Once I got sick I stopped following the program. It became convenience meals. No packed lunch - just buying lunch at work to get by. Buying dinner because I'm too tired to cook. I feel like I've been sick so many times since I started 12wbt. I don't understand why. It's like I've become healthier, therefore my body can't handle things much? But that doesn't make sense right? Shouldn't my immune system have improved with my improved nutrition and fitness? I don't know. I get quite upset about the fact that I keep getting sick. It's just so far out of my control. I just have to ride the wave and rest up until I'm better. It's upsetting and frustrating. But the main point I need to take from this is that I don't make the right choices when I'm sick. I need to change this. I need to look after myself better.

Anyway, that's me to date. I've got four more weeks before the next round of 12wbt officially starts. Pre-season starts in two days. And I have a week of leave with travel to both Sydney and Hervey Bay in a couple of weeks. My plan is to follow my 12wbt meal plans until the next round starts. And while travelling I need to make the best choices I can, similar to how I did in Cairns.

Lets finish on a light and happy note. I've lost a little weight since the end of the program. In fact, I got under 80kgs!!! Was quite exciting when I saw that on the scale. Was right when I got back from my holiday. It's been a long time since then. I'm getting closer and closer to my goal weight.

Starting weight: 91.8kgs
Last weigh in: 79.0kgs
BMI at the time: 29 (Overweight class)
Weight loss since the end of the program: 2.6kgs
Total weight loss to date: 12.8kgs
Percentage weight loss to date: 13.94%

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4 Mini Milestone - Mt Coot-tha Kokoda Track

Drowning

And I'm Back in the Game