Food, Glorious Food

I though for my next post I'd make it about something fun that I'm sure most people appreciate - FOOD!!!! Yum yum!!

One huge thing joining the 12wbt has given me, that I am truly grateful for, is teaching me to appreciate healthy nutritious food and how much it can do for your body. And the amazing thing, is that this is returned to you ten-fold. It comes back to you in numerous benefits in a variety of forms, including energy, brain power, attention span, physical ability and emotional control, just to name a few!!

I have also found a love and joy that comes from cooking. I don't know exactly how to describe it in words that can do it any justice, but it is just an incredible thing that you can express yourself through. You are making something so good for your body, that you know your body will enjoy, and you're doing that from scratch with your own hands. When I cook, I enjoy every part of it - shopping and selecting the fresh ingredients, reading through the recipe and planning what order I need to do it all in, and then actually cooking and plating up the food. Oh and of course eating it :). That's the best bit! My dad was a Chef. He passed away when I was 18. I always wanted him to teach me how to cook, but it was one of those "one day I'll do this with my dad" scenarios. My dad adored cooking. And he was so damn good at it too. I'll never forget one conversation I had with him in our kitchen. I said to him "Dad one day I've got to get you to teach me how to cook". He was cooking our dinner, and he responded with "Well let's start right now". And I said "Oh no, not now. I was going to go play on the computer". And I ran off. I never got to learn how to cook from him. And to this day that memory breaks my heart. I'm sure I broke his at the time too. Anyway, enough of the sob story. My love and enjoyment I get out of cooking now days kind of makes me feel closer to him in a way. It's like I'm finally understanding his passion. Although I guess my cooking does a bit more for the body than his did. Hehe. He's more of a Gary from Masterchef style. Make the food taste really amazing and comforting, then add a crapload of butter.

So for this post I thought I'd share some photos of a sample of the delicious meals I've had the pleasure of cooking for myself since I started 12wbt. Thank you to Michelle and the crew for all the incredible recipes we are given in the program.

Bon appetit.

Beef with Corn, Capsicum and Avocado Salsa. 
What can I say - YUM!! This is a favourite in the program. Everyone raves about it in the forums.


 Satay Chicken with Salad
Very delish. Very basic sauce too - made with peanut butter with a little bit of chilli. Has some bite to it with the chilli though!


Banana Bruschetta
This is one of my fave brekkie's in the program. Whole grain toast, low fat philly cheese, banana and cinnamon. Yum! It's deliciously sweet, but not too sweet for a breakfast meal. Heaven to wake up to.


 Cajun Chicken with Sweet Potato and Salad
 You can bring out some amazing flavours in the most simple of food with spices. And they add next to no calories. Not enough to even count them. This is a delicious meal. I love my sweet potato and this recipe allows me to eat it to my heart's content.


Wholemeal Spaghetti with Tuna, Zucchini and Feta 
 What can I say about this one....... YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM!!!!! The first time I ate this meal was right after swimming one night with a friend. It was the perfect match after a lap swimming session. Carbs and protein. Plus the deliciousnous of salty low fat feta, zucchini and a sauce made of just fresh lemon juice. This is definitely a keeper.


 Chicken with Grape, Goats Feta and Walnut Salad
 More feta!! Nothing makes me happier than a meal with feta. It's so delicious. This salad has such interesting flavours all mixed up together. It's great when you feel like something different. The grapes add a suttle sweetness to an otherwise savoury dish.


 "Nat's" Lasagne
 This was a meal one of the member's designed, and then it was added to the 12wbt recipe index. This meal is a great treat when you just want something rich and hearty, but it still stays under your calorie allowance. This meal taught me how to have a hearty meal, with the right portion size. The portions come out small, but it's still filling with a side salad. It's delicious! Love spinach cooked in lasagnes.


 And finally, my favourite meal of the program.....................
DRUM ROLL PLEASE

Beef with Creamy Mushroom Sauce and Beans
Ok so the photo does not do this picture any favours. And you may have worked out by now that photography is not my strong suit. But this meal is AH-MAY-ZING!!! It's so delicious. There is a hint of dijon mustard in the creamy sauce which is just incredible. I love red meat so that's got me hooked there. And for some reason I just love the simple veggies with the meal. Love love love this meal! And takes like 20 minutes to make. Fantastic!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4 Mini Milestone - Mt Coot-tha Kokoda Track

Drowning

And I'm Back in the Game