Excuses, Excuses, Excuses

The task:
a. To list out every type of excuse you use, that I've used before, and am likely to use again.
b. To come up with solutions for every excuse to be prepared for when they may arise again.
c. To print them out and stick them up somewhere, so they're always handy when I need to refer to them.

These took me forever. There was just so damn many excuses. I worked on this list for about a week in total. Constantly thinking about what I use as an excuse, then how I am going to get myself out of them. I got there in the end though.

The result: Brace yourself. It isn't a short read.

Internal Excuses
Exercise:
  • I’m too tired
  • I’ve got too much on
  • I’m too sore from yesterday’s workout.
  • I’m too fat – it’s too hard to turn around or change.
  • I’m not motivated
  • I’m not fit enough
Food:
  • I deserve this junk food because I’ve been training well/I’ve been really good for days.
  • I’ve skipped breakfast so I can afford to eat more for dinner.
  • I’m too hungry to eat such little calories – I can’t focus on my work when I’m hungry. Then I’ll fall behind at work and I can’t afford to do that.
  • I have stuffed up eating this/all day so I may as well keep eating crap for the rest of the day.
  • I feel sad/stressed
  • I hate going grocery shopping. I’ll just buy my lunch tomorrow.
Solutions
  • I am printing these excuses and stapling them in my diary. Every time the self talk starts I need to go straight to this page.
  • Re-read my goals and the things I have to do to get to them. Then do those things!
Exercise:
  • Michelle’s ROBOT MODE!!! Just start, get into it, and once I’m into it I won’t feel tired/unmotived etc. As Mish says, just get my shoes on and get out the door, before the analysis and paralysis starts.
  • The “just get up and do 10 mins” tactic. All I have to do is get up and do 10 minutes.
  • JFDI!!!!!!!!!! Robot Mode. Just 10 mins. (I think this will have to be my self talk chant!!)
  • Health is more important than work. I will do my work after I fit in half an hour’s exercise. I need to say to myself “No, I need to exercise firstly, everything else can wait – it’s not the end of the world unless it is an external excuse outside of my control”.
Food:
  • If I feel sad/stressed – exercise instead of going to the cupboard. Go for a walk. Even if it is just a short one around the block.
  • Go look at my food diary so far – put in the bad food I’m about to eat and take a good hard look at how it is about to blow my calories for the day. I will not lose weight if I blow my calories, so just don’t eat it!
  • If I have stuffed up on one meal/one day – the self talk needs to be that “I will be more vigilant from now on to correct my mistake – not make my mistake worse by eating more. Go burn those calories I should not have eaten.”
  • Work excuses for eating bad – I can concentrate. The bad thoughts will go away if I just focus on my work. Write out my to do list and just start working on it from the top down. The thoughts will go away if I just immerse myself in my work.
  • Ask myself – is my stomach rumbling? Does my stomach actually feel empty? No. Then I am not hungry. It is an excuse I am pulling right now!
  • If I don’t have healthy food at home to bring for lunch – go to Woolies at lunch and buy stuff to make a salad. My work has a kitchen – it’s not hard to prepare a salad for lunch rather than eating out.
  • If I don’t want to go grocery shopping – just buy it online and get it delivered. Mish gives us a shopping list. I don’t have to think. Just do. It couldn’t be easier.

External Excuses – Within My Control
  • I’m too busy
  • Its too hot/raining/too cold
  • It’s too early/late in the day.
  • My boyfriend is here – I’m too embarrassed to train inside in front of my boyfriend
  • I have to work late or my manager will be pissed off at me.
  • I can’t afford it.
Solutions
  • If I have to work late to keep my manager happy – agree with him to work until 7:30 or 8pm. Then go to the gym on the way home. It shuts at 9pm. You can work until 7:30 or 8. If I need to work beyond that – come home and do a workout dvd. I can fit in half an hour. My manager will just have to wait until tomorrow unless there is a crucial deadline. A crucial deadline is not justified until it is 1 or 2 days away!
  • I don’t have to attend a gym class. If I can’t because of work I can just go and use the cardio equipment. Don’t use the gym timetable as an excuse.
  • It is never too early/late in the day. JFDI!
  • If I am whinging about the weather – then I will do a DVD inside. And if my boyfriend is home, who cares. I know he will be impressed if I exercise. He’s always proud of me when I go to the gym.
  • The fact that you can’t afford it is a lie. I give myself a clothing allowance each pay. If I want to do a bootcamp class or something along those lines – use the clothing allowance if I can’t afford it. I can buy clothes next pay. I will probably be skinnier next pay too! Added bonus!
  • If I’m broke I’ve got workout equipment at home – exercise dvds, skipping rope. Parks to go out and exercise in. Stairs to run up or do step ups.
External Excuses – Outside My Control
  • These are only true emergencies or crisises that I cannot get out of.I’m sick (actually sick – like the flu or something)
  • Work assignment is due in 1-2 days and everyone is working late nights to get it finished.
  • Family is in trouble/ a family emergency.
Solutions
  • As Mish said – these circumstances should happen 2% of the time – if they are happening more, then I need to reassess – because I am most likely just making excuses within my control rather than actually having an external excuse outside of my control.
  • If a crisis happens, once it is over, go exercise. It will clear my mind and make me relax from it.
  • Don’t think I’ve ruined all of my progress. Life happens and sometimes we need to adjust, but if I just hop back into it after it has settled, I will keep losing weight. A few days to a week of no training will not have an impact compared to stopping for another few months.

Now I have all the solutions. I just need to put them into action whenever any excuses show up. Keep posted.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4 Mini Milestone - Mt Coot-tha Kokoda Track

Drowning

And I'm Back in the Game